Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Middle of the Week Mélange

It looks like the never ending legislative session may in fact end soon. This ridiculous power struggle makes about as much sense to me as ole Governor Otter sending out his henchmen to shut down Twitter accounts...

In other afternoon news, I'm sitting here awaiting Wednesday night baseball on ESPN (thankfully not rained out because I need a little baseball in my life today) and I'm hearing that the Minnesota Vikings might want Brett Favre. I don't know anything about football and I certainly don't care to learn, but even I've had enough of the Brett Favre story. Retire already. For real.

Yesterday I was exploring the options available to me in this blogging platform, Blogger, and I noticed a link to Plinky. What's Plinky? Well, I didn't know either, but it appears to offer a prompt every day for those of us who are topic challenged. Seems like people are using Plinky to keep some blogs afloat and some just use it when they haven't had a decent post in weeks because they're swamped (or annoying with Rep. Virginia Foxx, as the case may be). Some of the prompts are rather clever--things like yesterday's "If the shoes make the man (or woman), what do your shoes say about you right now?" and today's "What musicians would you like to see join together to form a new band?" Interesting. Some days there are deep prompts, some days not so much. And for those of us struggling in the creative, original, sit down and write the stuff you've had stacked up for weeks department, might be worth a shot.

I am completely addicted to the "watch instantly" feature offered by Netflix. I wish they had as many choices available to watch online as they do that can be sent to your house, but given that as a Mac user I was unable to use the watch instantly feature up until a few months ago, I'm not going to complain. My watch instantly queue is stocked with numerous films I've been meaning to watch and just haven't gotten around to or overlooked in the films I had sent to me because new releases were a higher priority. I find myself watching a lot of movies these days at three and four in the morning when the only thing on basic cable is infomercials. It's brilliant. Thank you, Netflix!

I hear my old stomping grounds will be home to National Guard training exercises this weekend. What are they publicizing? That there will be paint guns. It's always bothered me that the Idaho National Guard uses "big boys toys" to bring in recruits. If it isn't paint ball guns it's the helicopter they bring to college campuses for recruiting and the tanks or hummers you see at county fairs all over the state. I don't know what the alternative is, but using testosterone and the ploy of bigger toys as a recruiting tactic just doesn't seem right to me.

If you live in Pocatello, maybe you share this sentiment--what is with the continuous construction projects? There was an article in the Idaho State Journal this morning about the I-15 project and I immediately wondered how long it will be until we see a summer without any I-15 projects. It's beginning to be as predictable as the Benton Street overpass repairs...every single summer.

I tend to send myself links to articles I'd like to link to, write about, etc. and at the moment I have a collection of them in my inbox, but I'm going to save them for Saturday's smorgasbord. They are more political in nature than what I've linked to here. That's all for now.

No comments :