Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Odds & Ends (Literally)

Have you ever tried to sing under water? I'm fairly convinced that attempting to write while on pain medication is precisely that difficult. I recently wrote the three worst academic/scholarly papers I've ever written in my collegiate career. I somehow envisioned that I would get better with time, not bottom out in the last class (well, a class I didn't finish nearly a year ago when this back nightmare began) I'll ever take at ISU! However, I'm done. Completely done with my academic career at ISU and it feels, well, rather odd.

The last time I thought I was completely done with ISU and annouced as much, I ended up enrolled at ISU for two more semesters so I could have health insurance while I underwent and recovered from spinal surgery. Perhaps I should be knocking on wood or living in a bubble at this point.

Of course, I have other academic things that will now require the time I was previously spending on coursework. Graduate school applications, a GRE retake, and a class I've been attempting to get credit for through BYU for what seems like a lifetime now. I'm saving the great celebration for the day I have some idea of what the hell I'm going to do with my life now. No, I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, while I contemplate my future, wait for some school somewhere to say they want me, and continue this ridiculous recovering from back surgery process, I think I'll pick up a book or two that I just want to read for the hell of it. You know what that means? I don't have to read anything academic or historic. Period. I've already picked up a copy of the latest installment in James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series, The 8th Confession, which reminds me that I still haven't read his Run for Your Life, and now that I have a little more time on my hands I can spend some of it flipping through the soon-to-be out-of-date guide to the Supreme Court a good friend hooked me up with. New music is on my horizon as well since one Yusuf Islam, known to most by Cat Stevens, has a new CD out today. I'm glad he could take a break from complaining about Coldplay to issue me something new. I'm sure he really gives a damn what I want...

In addition to my inability to write anything of scholarly substance, I find myself unable to write anything of political substance, either. I've sat down to the computer many a time to write about Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), only to delete what I've written in irritation, close out the window, and then swear off the blog for another day. A hoax, my ass.

Oh, and one last point while my head is clear and my fingers are nimble--there are going to be some design changes around here in the coming weeks. Hopefully, if I can figure out how, I'll have this header and the header that existed prior to it available for viewing somewhere and there'll be a brand spanking new header that somehow encorporates the newly created favicon that sure doesn't make much sense otherwise. Haven't designed the new header yet and the all-knowing computer wrangler, Teresa, is graduating in two weeks, so it all depends on when she's up for a little blog chaos. Until then, check out the sidebar editions and changes.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Tara,

Congrats on finishing up at ISU. I remember when I finally finished I swore I would never return.

But ISU is kind of like the mafia - just when you think you're out they pull you back in. I'm returning in the fall to take more classes.

Bastards!