Saturday, June 27, 2009

Smorgasbord Saturday

It has been a hell of a week at casa Rowe. That's two weeks in a row that have left me, at times, completely upside down. Perhaps it's just June and once July rolls in everything will turn around. I can always hope...

Yesterday happened to be the day the Idaho State Journal mass distributed the paper. Which explains why, one, it was thick on a Friday, and two, when I was up at 4 a.m. Friday morning the newspaper carriers were out in force. The Insight section, which is more or less op-eds, featured a great Idaho history piece by former lawmaker and newsman Perry Swisher. I've mentioned before that his columns can be hit-or-miss and sometimes I have no idea where they are going or if they got there, but in the last week he's been spot on. His first piece called for a unicameral legislature in Idaho. Having served in the House, he certainly has a better understanding of the inner workings of our state legislature than I. I also trust that Swisher has a respect for the Idaho Constitution which instituted a bicameral legislature all those years ago (coincidentally, the anniversay of Idaho statehood is coming up on Friday). Do I think a unicameral legislature will happen in Idaho? Probably not, but I think it is a good idea and I really respect the opinion of a guy like Perry Swisher. Today's piece in the Insight section was something that didn't leave much room for argument. Swisher stated that the ability for a politician to switch from one party to another, most recently Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, is deeply rooted in that politician's belief system, dating back to their earliest days as a politically-aware voter or even earlier. Since Swisher switched parties in 1974, I think he probably knows a thing or two about this topic. Today's piece hasn't gone online yet, at least if it has, I haven't found it, but it is a wonderful piece that more than anything offers a glimpse into the political history of Idaho. Perfectly timed for those of us who take notice of the anniversary of Idaho statehood.

If you haven't checked out "All I'm Saying" by another Idaho scribe, you should. And especially this post where she reflects on her recent trip to the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, Texas. Her post reminded me of my first trip to Dealey Plaza and how completely taken aback I was when I walked throught that very intimate plaza toward the building where the shots were fired that killed President Kennedy. Exactly what I said that first time, I can't repeat here, but it was one of the most chilling experiences I've had. It all made me wish I could be cleared for traveling. Dallas hasn't gotten too hot yet and god only knows how much I need a vacation.

Should any of you have forgotten, Tuesday is the big drop date for the new Rob Thomas album. Yep, Cradlesong (or at least the portions of it that haven't already been released) will hit stores Tuesday. I'll be completing my album on iTunes since I've already snagged the first four singles off of Rob's sophomore solo album.

A week or so ago, I announced prematurely that legendary newsman Walter Cronkite was gravely ill. I wasn't the only one. Apparently, many media outlets announced that Walter Cronkite was ill with little time left when they caught sight of CBS updating the obituary they keep on file for Cronkite. An email from Media Channel this morning pointed out a statement issued by Chip Cronkite on behalf of the Cronkite family that his father has "suffered for some years with cerebrovascular disease and he is not expected to recuperate." I guess that's more than we knew a week ago when we were all announcing that the man was dying. He is dying, it's just a matter of when.

It appears Laid Off Loser is giving up the ghost. I'll admit, I didn't read his stuff all that often, but he makes a good point--most blogs have a limited shelf life. My own blog is definitely past its prime, I just can't decide if it is past the expiration date. I suppose I could just appear in the comments elsewhere, though I find commenting at other blogs far more tedious and time consuming than actually authoring and keeping up with a solo blog. Anyway, that's just a little thinking out loud (er...typing).

Tunes I've been listening to in the past seventy-two or so hours, in addition to TGIF Tunes, include: "Collide" by Howie Day; "Permanent" by David Cook; "Chasing Cars;" and, "Feels Like Home" by Randy Newman, performed by Chantal Kreviazuk.

2 comments:

darike88 said...

I hate to see any blogger give it up. TUBOB mentioned that he was losing commenters/readers due to facebook, and he also wondered if it was time to give up.

I like facebook now because most of my family or personal stuff can go there, and I can use the blog mostly for my political or social commentary. It works well for me that way, so far.

I'd hate to lose your insight and keen sense of history, so of course I'm selfishly lobbying you to continue blogging in some way.

If you just don't feel the urge to do a daily post, there are forums such as 43rd St. Blues or Idaho Speaks where multiple people blog so that one person doesn't have the entire burden on their shoulders.

I agree about Perry, I sometimes think he's very prescient, and sometimes think he's lost it. I can't imagine Idaho going unicameral, but it might be the best thing for us.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I refuse to join Facebook... But I think my disdain for blogging will pass eventually.