Monday, July 20, 2009

Quote of the Day

"For how many thousands of years now have we humans been what we insist on calling "civilized?" And yet, in total contradiction, we also persist in the savage belief that we must occasionally, at least, settle our arguments by killing one another.

"While we spend much of our time and a great deal of our treasure in preparing for war, we see no comparable effort to establish a lasting peace. Meanwhile, emphasizing the sloth in this regard, those advocates who work for world peace by urging a system of world government are called impractical dreamers. Those impractical dreamers are entitled to ask their critics what is so practical about war."
--Walter Cronkite, Address to the U.N. (October 19, 1999)

3 comments:

Byron said...

Tara
This quote will stay with me for a long time. Thank you for choosing such a thought provoking meaningful selection.

"... we spend much of our time and a great deal of our treasure in preparing for war, we see no comparable effort to establish a lasting peace."

Tara A. Rowe said...

Byron, I'm glad you like this quote. I'm always afraid when I post these daily quotes that they have meant something to me and will mean nothing to readers. I spend a great deal of time choosing the quotes and more likely than not they are quotes I have saved at various stages of my life because they were important to me. I actually watched this speech on the internet the day he gave it and I've always been very impressed with it.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the quote. I'm doing some minor plastering of it on Facebook.