Saturday, July 18, 2009

Smorgasbord Saturday

A Walter Cronkite tribute post is in the works and should be posted at some point this weekend. Cronkite passed away yesterday at the age of 92. In the meantime, here is President Obama's statement on the death of Cronkite:



Two worlds collided last night as the Mets announcers in their booth noted the passing of Walter Cronkite, as the news was breaking, and the Braves announcers in their Peachtree TV booth were joined by Greg Maddux. Maddux, a former Brave with eleven seasons of domination on the mound, was recognized at Turner Field yesterday as the newest member of the Braves franchise hall of fame. His number joined those of Braves' legends Phil Neikro, Warren Spahn, Hammerin' Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Eddie Mathews, and of course Jackie Robinson (his number has been retired across the league by each of the individual franchises) retired and on display at Turner Field in Atlanta. You know it is a huge night in Braves history when Bobby Cox says it was one of the best nights he's spent at the ballpark. Can you imagine how many nights Bobby Cox has spent the ballpark? And in true Maddux form, he was overwhelmed by the ceremony and truly too humble to admit he deserved such an honor. There on the field with guys like Chipper Jones, Eddie Perez, David Justice, Don Sutton, Phil Neikro, Dale Murphy, and Tommy Glavine via video, Maddux simply said, let's go out and beat the Mets "just like old times." And beat the Mets they did. Jair Jurrjens, perhaps the most Maddux-like pitcher in the game right now, threw six shutout innings and made a superb play fielding off the mound channeling eighteen-time Gold Glove winner Maddux. I'm with Bobby Cox on this one...what a night to be at the ballpark!

While I'm on the topic of the Braves, last night as I was watching the Padres/Rockies match up on FSN Rocky Mountain, I was reflecting on the fact that this is the third time in my life that I've lived in an area where the television lineup offered team-specific programming. I grew up, as I said yesterday, a kid in the Braves on TBS world. As a teenager, before our lineup stopped offering WGN in exchange for the WB (which is now the CW, I believe), I got non-stop coverage of the Chicago Cubs. And now, because of my location, the Fox Sports Network on cable here is the Rocky Mountain region which means instead of the Seattle Mariners that viewers in Boise get, we get all access coverage of the Colorado Rockies. Despite having probably an even number of years watching each of those three teams play whichever team was on their schedule, I stuck with the Braves and never much cared for the Cubs or Rockies. So, when I say I'm a Braves fan and people mention that I must have grown up watching the Braves on TBS, I get a bit annoyed. That and the whole 'fair weather friend' comment annoys me. Just because the Braves won fourteen straight division titles doesn't mean I like them any less now that they've had a few rough seasons and haven't made it to the playoffs. All of this, I'm sure, is far more than anybody cared to know...

There's another insane letter to the editor in the Times-News this morning. Unfortunately, this is pretty much all there have been in the days since Obama's election.

If any of you regular readers are students, I highly recommend taking a look at the Google Student Blog. I just recently discovered it, I'm a huge fan of the Google blog, and the student blog offers all sorts of wonderful tools. I've yet to take full advantage of the new tasks lab Gmail is offering, but Google for Students has a video tutorial and I hope to start using it regularly. One of the tools I was thrilled to see is a resume and cover letter template. It's geared toward recent graduates, but anybody can and should take advantage of the template. It can be so difficult to put a resume or cover letter together for the first time and not starting from scratch is a huge leg up.

Hopefully I'll have an update on my summer reading list in the next week. I finished Dave Neiwert's The Eliminationists and decided to pick up another of his works, God's Country, which I started last night. I haven't picked up the new James Patterson book, the new Janet Evanovich title, or the posthumous work of John Updike's, all of which were released recently, if that tells you anything about the status of my summer reading list.

It appears I wasn't the only one preoccupied with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg this week. Michael Gerson of the Washington Post, as well as a string of other journalists, reported on comments Ginsburg made in an interview with the New York Times Magazine. He calls it a scandal, I wouldn't go that far, but I will say that the comments Ginsburg made this week are precisely why I said in sixteen years on the bench we've never come to a full understanding of what Ginsburg thinks or believes about reproductive rights in this country. When Ginsburg was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Clinton and confirmed by the Senate, the Democrats probably weren't as sure as they have been with other nominees of what they were getting. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Ginsburg has turned out to be what O'Connor was for Reagan and disappointed conservatives or what Earl Warren was for Eisenhower and enraged conservatives, but Ginsburg has definitely been hit-and-miss in terms of reproductive health, equal rights for women and minorities, and other largely progressive causes. Perhaps that makes her a good justice--a fair justice even. The jury is still out on that.

Today's tunes include Martina McBride's new single, "I Just Call You Mine," and "Alright" by Darius Rucker. I saw one of the funniest videos this morning by Randy Houser. I don't much care for the song "Going Out With My Boots On," but check out the video and you'll see what I mean. The kid in it is absolutely adorable! And don't think you have to like country music to like this video. Yesterday it was all Vienna Teng, today it's all country. Go figure!

Have a wonderful Saturday afternoon.

No comments :