Saturday, September 12, 2009

Smorgasbord Saturday

Drove by the TEA Party event here in Pocatello early this afternoon--quite a crowd. Pictures and video hopefully to come tomorrow.

I've been thinking about the coming fall tv lineup (most of the premieres are this coming week or next) and I can't decide what shows I'll be tuning in for. CBS canceled Without A Trace which was my favorite and since both Leverage and Saving Grace (also canceled) are off-season shows, I'm at a loss as to what to watch. Admittedly, I watch more television on network websites, Hulu or Netflix, but some nights I want to turn on the tv for something other than news. Since I don't get the movie channels, I have to wait for Weeds and Dexter to hit DVD to watch. So...that leaves NCIS which I do enjoy and Fringe which I highly recommend and my pick from the CSI franchise, CSI: Miami. All of which doesn't much matter if baseball happens to be on!

Janice Stevenor Dale has a guest piece over at New West that is really worth a few minutes. I have always been fascinated with some of Idaho's more historic school buildings, particularly the Greenwood School near Hazelton, Idaho, that has been mostly abandoned and left to fall apart much of the last decade. It's really unfortunate that all Idahoans don't think like Dale who points out both the importance and history of these types of structures. This past week, Preservation Idaho held a "Rally to Save Our Historic Schools" in Boise. Check out their petition here.

A couple of Kennedy related happenings in the news. The city of Fort Worth is considering placing an eight-foot statue of President John F. Kennedy in Grand Worth Square in downtown Fort Worth. We tend to connect Kennedy with Dallas because of the awful events there, but it is often forgotten that Kennedy spoke in Fort Worth just prior to the motorcade through Dealey Plaza. Also, the current Vanity Fair cover story is about Jackie Kennedy and the shaping of the Kennedy legacy known as Camelot. It is nearly impossible to find a copy of Vanity Fair in this town, but Sam Kashner's cover story is available on VF's website.

Every now and again a movie sneaks by without any fanfare and turns out to be a real winner. I just caught a movie called Sugar about the youth baseball academies in the Dominican Republic. Major League Baseball has been largely influenced by Dominicans and there are plenty of young phenoms still coming out of the country, but this film pointed out something that goes largely unrecognized--young baseball players are learning English as they learn the game of baseball. It's brilliant really, teaching English through the process of explaining the game. It also speaks volumes to something that is noted quite often in baseball here in the States and that is that Spanish-speaking players have few language barriers when it comes to learning and playing the game with English-speaking players, but they often display their poor grasp of English when on camera discussing more than simply the fundamentals of the game. Sugar is certainly worth a look if you're a fan of the game. I found myself wondering, despite the sacrifices these kids make to grow in the game and move to the States, do they see it as a great opportunity to play without having to defect like their Cuban counterparts? Cuban players don't have the same opportunities that Dominican players have and are just as good at the game. I highly recommend the film.

As somewhat of a precursor to the post I hope to complete tomorrow on the things I saw and heard at the 9-12 event here in town today, please read the great piece over at Nemesis Today. I don't think Nemesis is completely off-base, the sky may in fact be falling. I, like a lot of Americans, was watching President Obama addressing Congress Wednesday night as was completely shocked by Congressman Wilson's enraged heckling of Obama. It wasn't that Obama happens to be a black man and Wilson from the state that seceded from the Union first, thus beginning the Civil War (this did provide context), it was that a member of the United States House of Representatives disrespected the President of the United States during a fairly rare address. I bet Congressman Wilson doesn't even know which president first used this particular type of address. It was John Adams about France and the entanglement the United States found themselves in with France given their relationship during the Revolutionary War and thereafter. I've listened to Congressman Wilson's poor excuses for apologies and to tell you the truth, he strikes me as a southern football coach kind of guy, not a U.S. Congressman.

Believe it or not, I don't have any music suggestions today. Listened to one song very early this morning and haven't listened to any other tunes since. Maybe tomorrow. It has been an awfully long day, thankfully, tomorrow is a new one.

No comments :