Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Quote of the Day

"AT ABOUT THIS POINT the weak-hearted reader usually sits down in the road, removes his shoes and weeps that he 'is a bad linguist' or that he or she can't possibly learn all those languages. One has to divide the readers who want to be experts from those who do not, and divide, as it were, those who want to see the world from those who merely want to know WHAT PART OF IT THEY LIVE IN."
-- Ezra Pound, ABC of Reading
(Ironically, this is exactly how I am beginning to feel about ever finishing a complete reading of Pound's Cantos. I just want to know which way is up after reading Pound's work.)

2 comments:

N. Speth said...

Ah yes, Ezra Pound.... can I call him Idaho's greatest ever poet? I think I can.

He sure was a man that brings about strong emotions in people. In the margin of the anthology that I have that has some of his poems in it, I wrote "Can I accept art from such a man? A poets first poem should be the life he/she lives."

I was a bit more headstrong than I have since become but I still wonder... is his support for Mussolini or his serious anti-Semitism a reason for me to dislike his work?

Thoughts?

Tara A. Rowe said...

I've got a Pound post in the works, Nick. You'll hafta wait to hear what I think about the Idaho poet. Interesting, though, because I've wondered these very things about Pound's poetry.