Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thirty-one White Men Condoning Rape



I noticed Kevin Richert's defense of Senators Crapo & Risch in regard to the Franken Amendment and not only wanted to call bullshit, but also thought how unfortunate that yet another white man is willing to join the fray, the fray that would rather side with big government contractors than actual rape victims. Calling bullshit for the rest of us, Wordsmith takes Richert and the rest of the defenders of the thirty members of the United States Senate who cast this despicable vote to task, and good on her for doing so. It's about time someone points out the flawed reasoning. Don't think Wordsmith's way of going about this is the most respectable, fine, go read what Sisyphus has to say, he's a little less crass, but just as on point as Wordsmith.

7 comments:

Wordsmith said...

I was just doing fine until I read Richert's write-up. I think what REALLY pissed me off was the "lefty blogs" or left wing blogs.... whatever he said. This country has swung SO FAR to the right that if I'M left wing then something is amiss with political ideologies. I'm liberal but I'm not an anarchist or a "real" leftist.

And then, Tara, both Crapo AND Risch want to play this 'dinna know Hallyburton & KBR were, ya know, together.' KBR has been part of Halliburton for 40+ years. That's one of the first things I learned when looking into these companies when crap was going about Cheney getting them the no-bid contracts.

Thus the first line in my post.

The most telling of all - every woman in the Senate voted FOR the amendment, GOP & Democratic - every woman.

Could ya tell I was pissed? I was so pissed I forgot to tie it into Sis's post, which REALLY, REALLY was the ultimate goal. I'll pick up this evening.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Wordsmith, yes, I could tell you were pissed and you should be, we all should be. I wanted to say a whole lot more than I did, but then I saw that you'd followed up on Richert and I was glad you did. More on this later.

N. Speth said...

Again I have to refer you to the words of NBA legend Charles Barkley, as quoted by Chris Koster: "I used to be Republican until they lost their damn minds." Well said, Sir Charles, well said.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Nick, you're going to have to find my a similar quote that I can use when discussing my previous love of Joe Lieberman. WTF was I thinking?!

And yes, lost their damn minds. The fact that not one woman in the Senate voted 'no' on the Franken amendment speaks volumes to the issue. Not a single woman. That means no Kay Hagan even. The most conservative women in the Senate couldn't be so stupid as to vote, as John Stewart said, against rape victims. What the hell were the rest of these 30 senators thinking?!

Tara A. Rowe said...

I meant Kay Hutchison...

N. Speth said...

Best I can do is Alec Baldwin, star of my favorite TV show (30 Rock), in Playboy Magazine, "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman. I have no use for him."

Tara A. Rowe said...

I like that quote! Thanks, Nick, you know, I sure like that you're back in the world of the living (i.e. World other that WoW).