Saturday, July 10, 2010

Smorgasbord Saturday

Without meaning to treat this smorgasbord as a "taking out the trash" day, since March when I took a break from blogging I've been compiling a great deal of links and whatnot in my inbox that need to clear out. Here's some interesting reads that are worthy of both mentioning and actually taking the time to read:

Baseball
Cox, Like Baseball, Evolved Yet Unchanged/Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Baseball is Sport's Comfort Food/Fox Sports

History
Clarence Darrow - His Life, Legal Career and Legacy/Idaho Meanderings
Star Spangled Story/NYT Book Review

National Politics
Robert Byrd: KKK Says Late Senator 'Wasn't A Klansman Long Enough To Get His Sheet Broke In'/Huffington Post
Miranda Rights May Be Changed to Fight Terrorism/WaPo
Census Takers Didn't Count on the Anger/WaPo
Arlington Graves Sat Unmarked/WaPo
Kill the 17th Amendment!/The Atlantic
Rand Paul on NPR: Disabilities Act Goes Too Far/TPMDC
Desertion in the Desert/The Hill

Idaho Politics
Room for a Borah?/The Johnson Post
Welcome to the Tea Party Comrade Minnick/City Desk, BW
Idaho's Gutzon Borglum, and his not-so-secret KKK connection/Kevin Richert
The Martyr of Idaho/Idaho Meanderings
Mad Humans/Bill Cope, BW

4 comments:

John T. Richards Jr. said...

Tara:
Thanks for taking me out with the trash--well my blog anyway. Enjoyed Room for a Borah and some of the others links too. Will continue to look them over. I did notice that Rand Paul needs to study up on the ADA a bit more. John

N. Speth said...

Interesting that you shared that story. I was just reading up on Clarence Darrow. I'm a huge fan of his, and LOVED the actors who portrayed pseudo-him in BOTH versions of "Inherit the Wind." (i.e. Spencer Tracy and Jack Lemon)

btw if any of your readers haven't seen these films loosely about the so-called Scopes Monkey Trial. They're both available on hulu.

Tara A. Rowe said...

They have both versions on Hulu!? I'll hafta check that out--I love 'em both, though I must admit the one with Spencer Tracy is by far my favorite.

N. Speth said...

Sorry, the Spencer Tracy one is here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBcQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D3082194061759571011&ei=mfU9TOelB4OC8gbIh42mBg&usg=AFQjCNEqWm4dgo1v8kTDptDSwH82facuqg