Saturday, March 26, 2011

Smorgasbord Saturday

Since yesterday I did a rundown of the stories I could have framed as a smorgasbord, I'm really short on original material here today. So, I'll touch on baseball and music then call it good.

Listening to one of my favorite bands, Seven Mary Three, this morning. Haven't listened to them in awhile because I was on a Sister Hazel kick for a good week and before that mostly country. "Strangely At Home Here" is playing currently. Still hope I'll see these guys in concert at some point in my life. Had a chance once, but couldn't make the trip due to my back. Still have a craptastic back and Seven Mary Three isn't going to stay together forever. It'll happen some day.

Yesterday in the Grapefruit League, Chipper Jones ripped a three-run homer over the scoreboard. Braves' beat writer Mark Bowman said that it was one of the longest homers he has seen Chipper hit from the right side. Bowman also said that Chipper is playing like he's 28, not 38. The tear Chipper has been on during spring training has been a pleasant surprise for Braves fans. Last season, up until his ACL ripping on a spectacular play, it was like watching the Braves as they once were in the 90s, Chipper especially. He was getting on base and his teammates were batting him in. He was showing some power, something he'd been lacking for several injury-plagued seasons. And his leadership in the clubhouse with the young rookie Jason Heyward was very important to the Braves' success. When Chipper tore his ACL, it wasn't known if he would ever play again and with Bobby Cox retiring it was truly the end of an era in Atlanta. Now us Braves fans who grew up in the Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux and Tommy Glavine era have something to hold onto--a 38-year old third baseman who is batting .411 in spring training. The success he's had this spring couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Just saw the news that Geraldine Ferraro has died at the age of 75. I wasn't alive when Ferraro was on the ticket with Mondale, but I feel a great sense of gratitude for her breaking the glass ceiling. Her accomplishment of being the first woman on a presidential ticket paved the way for women in politics, Hillary especially, and I've never doubted that what Ferraro did in 1984 made it just a bit easier for every woman coming up in America after. Thank you, Geraldine Ferraro.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Haven't checked in with your column for awhile, but am enjoying it again. You can go back awhile further to see a woman who really did break barriers. This latest campaign was less trailblazing for me because I had previously voted for two African Americans and one woman for president. (That's cheating a bit because Shirley Chisholm was obviously in both categories, and I only got to vote for her in the primary.) She was certainly one of the most impressive people ever to run for the office of President, if a little before her time. If you haven't studied her career I highly recommend looking it up. I got interested in her when a friend of mine became involved in her Massachusetts campaign. Incidently, the other Black candidate I had voted for was Eldridge Cleaver on the Peace and Freedom Party ticket, in 1968. No I am not black, just very disillusioned with the two party candidate system at that time.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I understand that disillusionment, completely. And I certainly wasn't meaning to discount the other trailblazers, like Ferraro. I, too, am a huge fan of Chisholm.