Saturday, April 2, 2011

Smorgasbord Saturday

Over the past two days, I watched six baseball games (Yankees/Tigers, Padres/Cardinals, Giants/Dodgers, Astros/Phillies, Red Sox/Rangers, A's/Mariners). If you're a baseball fan, you understand the exhilaration of Opening Day and how it really signals the end of winter. It's exciting. Now, if we could just see some less error-plagued play...

It was a thrill to see my Braves win on Opening Day, their first game in the post-Bobby Cox era. It was a pleasant surprise to hear that Chipper Jones got a double in his first at-bat. For Braves fans, as I've said, many of us thought we'd seen Chipper play his last game when he left the field last fall with a torn ACL. His Spring success appears to be carrying over into the early days of this season. Let's hope it continues.

Since yesterday kicked off National Poetry Month, I thought it would be fitting to mention that Poets.org has a page devoted to the annual celebration of poetry and on it you can find various events and poetry-related offerings. This year in particular I'm watching the Academy of American Poets' guest posts on Twitter. Each day of April, a poet was chosen and has 24 hours to post their poetry, insights, etc. Because I hadn't been on Twitter until recently, it's an exciting event I can follow that will introduce me to many poets I'm not familiar with. It's a fantastic way to celebrate National Poetry Month.

Speaking of Twitter, I added a gadget to my sidebar where you can follow my tweets. There you'll find plenty of retweets of things I find interesting or think my readers will find interesting, notifications of new posts on this blog, and my random thoughts (which recently have been devoted mostly to baseball). Though I wade into the Twitter waters, you won't find me on Facebook anytime soon. Even if Sisyphus can do it!

As a wrap-up to the slew of posts I had here about right-to-farm legislation and other legislative attempts that would serve to aid Moyle Mink & Tannery, they all passed. Every last one of them. This week I felt like blogging was an exercise in futility. I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of political reporting soon. Until then, enjoy the beginning days of the 2011 Major League Baseball season!

No comments :