Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bin Laden Dead

Editor's Note: Because this is a developing story, I will be noting the time stamp next to each new entry. It will run chronologically from when I tuned in.

Breaking news: Obama to announce shortly that Bin Laden has been killed. Announced by ESPN commentators during the Mets/Phillies game. Turning to MSNBC. (9:29 p.m. MST)

After a fire fight, U.S. Special Forces killed Bin Laden and captured his body at a compound in Pakistan. Began with intelligence attained in August 2010. (9:42 p.m. MST)

Former President Bush congratulated Obama and the men and women of the U.S. military citing justice being done. (9:51 p.m. MST)

As I was watching on ESPN the Mets/Phillies game taking place at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, ESPN (part of the ABC family) commentators noted that ABC News was reporting that Osama Bin Laden had been killed. They announced that Bin Laden had been killed over the PA speaker at the Bank and Phillies fans broke out into "USA! USA!" chants. It was ironic, to put it mildly, to be watching a New York team with fans that were devastated by the attacks on the World Trade Center playing a team located not far from the field where Flight 93 went down. I flipped immediately to MSNBC and awaited President Obama's speech. This isn't a night I thought would ever come. I had assumed, like so many, that Bin Laden was dead and we would never find his body. Bin Laden, 9/11, and the global war on terror have defined my generation.

Follow the rest of my thoughts on Twitter.

No comments :