Saturday, July 7, 2012

Reading List Update

Awhile back I posted a list of books I hope to read this year. I've been slowly making my way through the list and like usual, I've added a few books to the list (new additions are in bold, strike-through titles are finished):
  1. "Ezra Pound Speaking": Radio Speeches of World War II edited by Leonard W. Doob
  2. The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach
  3. Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., Michael Beschloss and Caroline Kennedy
  4. 11th HourGuilty WivesI, Michael Bennett, and Private Games by James Patterson
  5. 11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King
  6. Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope by Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly
  7. Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero by Chris Matthews
  8. The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson
  9. Plain, Honest Men: The Making of the American Constitution by Richard Beeman
  10. Calico Joe by John Grisham
  11. Cecil Andrus: Idaho's Greatest Governor by Chris Carlson
  12. Presumed Guilty and Last To Die by Tess Gerritsen
  13. The Pound Era by Hugh Kenner
  14. Mudwoman: A Novel by Joyce Carol Oates
  15. Alexander Hamilton, American by Richard Brookhiser
  16. The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against Al-Qaeda by Ali Soufan
  17. Private: #1 Suspect and Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson
  18. Ezra Pound: Poet, A Portrait of a Man and His Work by A. David Moody
  19. John Smoltz: Starting and Closing: Perseverance, Faith and One More Year by John Smoltz
  20. Cronkite by Douglas Brinkley
  21. Once Upon a Fastball by Bob Mitchell
  22. American's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby
  23. Of Plymouth Plantation by William Bradford
  24. Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich
  25. Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir by Clint Hill (with Lisa McCubbin)
  26. Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball by R.A. Dickey
There will surely be more additions as the year rolls on. In the meantime, I vow to finish Ezra Pound's radio broadcasts. They're tedious and require a great deal of research to comprehend. One a day, at most, is all I can stand. God bless him.

What's on your summer reading list?

2 comments:

N. Speth said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Pound. You seem to be reading/have read a lot on him. I have softened on him a little, but scrawled in the margins of one of the Cantos or Hugh Selwyn Mauberley in my Norton Anthology is the statement to the effect that a poet's magnum opus ought to be his life. I've always admired "il miglior fabbro" as a poet, his poems were influential and very good... I just don't know if I can separate the poems from the man.

N. Speth said...

Oh, and as far as what's on my summer reading list... well I'm currently studying for the Praxis exam for Teaching Gifted and Talented, so my summer reading looks like this:

* Tons of back issues of Gifted Child Quarterly and The Roeper Review
* Alternative Assessment with Gifted and Talent Students, Joyce VanTassel-Baska (Ed)
* Some of My Best Friends are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers, by Judith Wynn Halstead

Also to reread a ton of gifted ed books I've already read including almost everything Joyce VanTassel-Baska and Joseph Renzulli have ever written. I've got a busy summer ahead of me.