Monday, September 24, 2012

On Absence

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple."
-- Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

I will be the first to admit that this space is neglected. When I began writing for BravesWire, my carefree writing flowed easily there and my thoughts for this blog became muddled. Of course, this is comparing apples to oranges. Baseball beat writing is not like writing about history and politics.

In the past week alone, I missed the chance to mention stories about three of the seven people who grace my masthead. Chris Carlson wrote a great piece on Gracie Pfost calling her the "Lioness of Idaho," a title I find fitting. There is a new film on the life and legend of Jackie Robinson, 42. And people the world over celebrated the third annual Eunice Kennedy Shriver Day.

There are a dozen stories in the queue here awaiting completion, completion that may or may not come. Some of the pieces I am attached to, Japanese internment and Ezra Pound in particular, but there are several that would be better off in the trash. If I could focus on the top two or three, I would consider that progress. That is my goal. And I hope you will all be patient with whatever I may post until these pieces are completed.

No comments: