Friday, April 26, 2013

My Introduction to George Jones



Our memories are often influenced by sound, smell and taste. When I read this morning that the great George Jones had passed away, I immediately thought of my grandfather.

My childhood introduction to music came through my grandfather. My grandfather had this dual deck cassette player that he used to play and I would sit and listen to whatever he put on. I remember listening to Dick Thomas, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Kitty Wells, Glenn Campbell and George Jones. That was my introduction to country music (what my grandfather called country-western until his death). Eventually he introduced me to Perry Como, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and others. But it was my introduction to country music that remains the strongest memory.

Thinking about George Jones today, I was taken back to the hard cement floor in my grandparents' living room, listening to "White Lightning" for the first time and having no idea what it meant, but that it was fun and that the singer had one of the best voices I had ever heard. Now I can truly appreciate how special that voice was. There's a reason why George Jones was Johnny Cash's favorite singer. A very special reason and one I am very thankful my grandfather introduced me to two decades ago.

George Jones (1931 - 2013)

2 comments :

Scott Nicholson said...

George was from the Piney Woods of Texas not far from my home. I first heard him while hunting with some of my more countrified friends and loved that they loved those old time country songs. George lived a an interesting life & will be missed.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Whenever I see a riding lawnmower doing anything that isn't mowing a lawn I think of George Jones. An interesting life, indeed!