I tend to read far more non-fiction than fiction, but lately I've given myself the latitude to read broadly and without guilt. We truly should read what we want to read rather than what we are told to, as the late Doris Lessing wrote. What I've wanted to read has been an interesting mix of mysteries, politics and everything I can get my hands on about Ezra Pound. While his poetry will forever confound, his life is beginning to take shape in my mind.
By no means a way of explaining my absence, I offer my 2014 reading list. I've grouped together the titles I've already finished, those I am currently absorbing and those I hope to get to before the year is out. Perhaps I'll add to the latter list as the year proceeds.
- E.E. Cummings: A Life by Susan Cheever (2014)
- The Caged Panther: Ezra Pound at St. Elizabeths by Harry Meacham (1967)
- Donna Leon's Uniform Justice (2003), Doctored Evidence (2004), Blood from a Stone (2005), Through a Glass, Darkly (2006) and Suffer the Little Children (2007).
- Henning Mankell's Faceless Killers (1997), The Dogs of Riga (2001) and The White Lioness (1998).
- Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin (1987)
- End of Days: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson (2013)
- The Intercept (2013) and The Execution (2014) by Dick Wolf
- Ezra Pound's Fascist Propaganda, 1935-1945 by Matthew Feldman (2013)
- Ezra Pound and His World by Peter Ackroyd (1980)
- Elizabeth Warren's A Fighting Chance (2014)
- Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Constitution by Justice John Paul Stevens (2014)
- Modernism on File: Writers, Artists, and the FBI 1920-1950 by Claire A. Culleton and Karen Leick (2008)
- Ezra and Dorothy Pound: Letters in Captivity, 1945-1946 edited by Omar Pound and Robert Spoo (1999)
- The Letters of Robert Frost, Volume 1: 1886-1920 (2014)
- Unlucky 13 by James Patterson (2014)
- Jim Abbott's Imperfect (2013)
- The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (2008)
- Herman Hesse's The Glass Bead Game (2002 edition)
- Hide and Seek by Ian Rankin (1991)
- The Girl of His Dreams by Donna Leon (2008)
- The Man Who Smiled by Henning Mankell (2005)
- Ezra Pound, Father and Teacher: Discretions by Mary de Rachewiltz
- John Quincy Adams: American Visionary by Fred Kaplan (2014)